Re: "invalid parameter parm_io" when trying to "modprobe -k sound"

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:48:10 +1100

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:25:13 +1100,
Robert Lowery <Robert.Lowery@colorbus.com.au> wrote:
>When I manually insert the modules it works fine, but when I do a "modprobe
>-k sound" I get an error "invalid parameter parm_io".
>
>I am using modutils-2.3.6 on kernel 2.3.28 and this is my conf.modules file
>
>alias char-major-14 sound
>alias sound sb
>options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

modutils 2.3.6 has a conflict between the real sound module and the
alias of sound to sb. Loading sound requires that modprobe load sb
which requires sound.o, sound is an alias for sb so modutils tries to
apply the sb options to the sound.o object.

I will give this some thought and see if I can fix it in modutils. As
a temporary workaround, change sound to sound-alias in modules.conf.
modprobe sound-alias or modprobe char-major-14 (with the new alias)
will work, modprobe sound will not.