Re: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
15 Nov 1999 09:43:00 +0200

viro@math.psu.edu (Alexander Viro) wrote on 14.11.99 in <Pine.GSO.4.10.9911141221440.2939-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>:

> On 14 Nov 1999, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > > 3.something. And it required the mounpoint to be immediate
> > > subdirectory of root.
> >
> > Nope.
>
> Nope _what_? 3.30 definitely had JOIN, JOIN.EXE _did_ check for the depth
> of mountpoint (want a reverse-engineered C source?) and while you could
> do it by hands it was _bad_ idea. Reason: the same table kept the cwd for
> each disk. It didn't take much to trick chdir() into buggering the whole
> thing big way.

DOS didn't always check the relevant length limits. That's a bug, not a
missing feature.

> man csh.

Nothing surprising there about ~. (Though I certainly never use csh.)

>Ever used ~ftp in scripts?

I don't think so.

>Ever moved the sucker around?

Not without compatibility symlinks.

>Exactly.

Exactly WHAT?

> Now, replace it with the setup when package foo sits in the directory
> bar\baz and you bind x: to bar\baz. Setting all pathes in config as
> absolute on x:

Oh, you mean it gives you a very limited version of symlinks.

MfG Kai