Re: System Hangs With Initio 9x00, 2.2.13, HP 6020i

bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:52:53 +0100

Hi Geoff,

>Well, after several weeks of searching newsgroups and mailing list
>archives, hacking, and slashing, I still cannot get my shiny new Iwill
>SIDE 2935UW controller to work properly with linux. My problem is that
>when I have my HP 6020i cd burner attached to the chain, the system
>freezes upon device detection.
>
>The same drive works with my crusty old Adaptec 152x card, with the same
>other devices on the chain, and in the same order. On the Iwill/Initio
>card, everything works fine under Windows 95 OSR2 (can access files and
>write a cd), but linux will not work with the drive attached.

Could you try adding active termination at the end of the scsi chain?
I've just helped someone with about the same problems as you, and they
got solved by adding active termination to the chain. The Linux driver
has a whee bit of a problem with faulty termination.

>When I have all of the devices attached, the screen output of modprobe
>initio looks like this:
>i91u: PCI Base=0xA400, IRQ=11, BIOS=0xFF000, SCSI ID=7
>i91u: Reset SCSI Bus ...
>
>(picks it's butt for a few seconds, then... )

That's normal. It'll pause for about 5 seconds on a SCSI bus reset.

>scsi0 : Initio INI-9X00U/UW SCSI device driver; Revision: 1.03g
>scsi : 1 host.
> Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: CD-ROM XM-6401TA Rev: 1009
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
> Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 PLUS Rev: J.66
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
>
>...and then the system locks. No numlock lights, no magic sysrq. I have
>to powercycle and wait for the fsck. Note that the Burner is set as ID
>4, but doesn't show up in the list.

Does the BIOS find it during bootup?

>However, when the burner is disconnected from the chain, everything else
>is detected and the system runs fine, although I did have a wierd
>problem with the Toshiba CD-ROM garbling data that was solved by a
>reboot.

I've never seen that here before. Were you able to reproduce that
particular problem?

>I have attempted to isolate the problem by doing the following:
> played with the termination on the drive and on the card itself,
> order of devices on the chain,
> changed scsi IDs,
> Async transfer mode,
> Removed all other devices on the chain,
> removed all other cards in the system other than the video card,
> played "Musical PCI slots" to see if another pci slot will make the
>sucker work,
> recompiled the kernel with different PCI options (buggy bridge or
>whatever),
> compiled the drivers into the kernel instead of using them as a module,
> tried a Uni-processor kernel
> played with the probe all LUNs option,
> tried disabling vendor-specific extensions.
>
>However, none of these efforts got me anywhere. The fact that everything
>works fine under (gasp!!) windows leads me to believe that it is
>something with the kernel drivers.

They're definately pecky about termination. I'm not sure if that's your
problem, but it may just be...

<snip machine configuration>

>The Scsi chain has the following attached, in the order listed:
>internal 50 pin:
> Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6401TA on ID #2
> HP SureStore 6020i on ID #4
>external 50 pin:
> Iomega Zip 100 Plus on ID #5

How do you terminate the chain? The CDROM only has passive termination,
and that may not be enough. The external chain needs termination as
well.

>Please let me know if you need any more information. I have basic C/C++
>skills, but know nothing about device drivers.

Could you try using active termination, and if it works, (or doesn't work)
let me know? I've been using the driver for some time, with two drives and
a CD, without problems myself.

Regards,

Bas Vermeulen (Who maintains the initio drivers (sorta anyways))

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving." -- Dave Aronson