Re: 2.2.13 smp box crashes

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:46:31 +0100

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 09:33:58AM +0100, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > 2.2.13 smp kernel with solar designer's secure linux patch
>
> Note that an exploit was posted on bugtraq yesterday that stomps over
> this patch as if it isn't there....

Secure-linux patch is not the final solution, it has got only mechanisms
to be harder making of exploits for buffer overruns and similars.

> > ABIT BP6 motherboard
> > 2xCeleron-366 running at 5.5x95Mhz (yes, it's overlocked but it seemed rock stable)
>
> Well, it just crashed. That means to me it isn't stable.

But it can be the software as well !

> The green heatsink in the middle of the board is undersized. On
> certain access patterns (On my system the screensaver seemed to
> trigger it), the chip overheats and causes a system hang.

The temperature was normal.

> I put a fan on it, and my system is a lot more stable now. I have the
> thermal paste ready-to-go, which is also a good idea....

Thanx for the idea, I'm going to do that anyway ...

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
            The end is coming.   >DO< panic.  For a while, at least.