Re: ethertap -> are this really ethernet-packets? [includes patch]

Folkert van Heusden (fvh@keetweej.demon.nl)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:34:43 -0100

BIONDI Philippe wrote:
> You have missed something:
> What is read in /dev/tap0 now have 2 extra bytes to align the begining of
> the ethernet data to 16 bytes.
> > 001] ff:ff:fe:fd:00:00 fb:0f:ff:ff:ff:ff 0000|
> ^ here begin then real packet.

Thank you very much!
In my opinion this is rather strange behaviour and should be
described in the documentation.
Also that you need the netlink device emulation should be
described.

Patch for Documentation/networking/ethertap.txt:
24a25,26
> Also, do not forget to include "netlink device emulation" in the
> kernel!
88a91,93