Re: kernel oops on a SMP-Celeron machine

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:46:03 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Rienk de Vries wrote:

> Further info (don't know if this is required): The mainboard is a
> SuperMicro P6DBE with 2 slot1/PPGA adapters, with 2 Celeron300a's.
> The fsb is @100MHz, therefore the cpu's are slightly overclocked to
> 450MHz. The temperatures of the cpu's are some 40 degr. C, which
> seems OK. I don't think i'm pushing the hardware too hard therefore.

Does it work non over-clocked? If yes, then those CPUs can't
handle 450mhz. This is not unusual. Oh, and BTW: 300->450 is NOT
'slight' in overclocking. Also, the tempature doesn't neccessairly
mean diddly-sqwat when overclocking, in fact, in this case it sounds
likely that the problem is not enough voltage, but if you increase
the voltage, you increase the heat..
In any case, since you're over-clocking your oops means
nothing.

Stephen