Re: Transparent mounts

Dan Hollis (goemon@anime.net)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:26:44 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Riley Williams wrote:
> 1. The partition(s) being mounted over must already be mounted
> read-only. There is therefore no problem with where to put
> any newly created files on such a system since such can't be
> created in the first place.

If I recall the way BSD handles this is to send all writes to the *last
mounted* filesystem. This seems to me a cleaner way to handle this rather
than forcing users to mount filesystems r-o.

> 2. There must not be any name clashes between the contents of
> the partition(s) already mounted at that point and that of
> the root directory of the partition being transparently
> mounted on top of it.

I dont know how BSD handles namespace collisions, but this could be
handled by hashing the duplicate filenames in some way.

-Dan