Re: `filetype' ext2 feature causes dump to SEGV

Stelian Pop (pop@cybercable.fr)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:57:23 +0100 (CET)

On 17 Nov 1999, Doug McNaught wrote:

> Stelian Pop <pop@cybercable.fr> writes:
>
> I think it was because Linux dump was (more or less) a port from the
> Berkeley FFS equivalent, which did this (and furthermore, did it to
> the raw device, so dumping a non-quiescent filesystem was guaranteed
> to be trouble). I'm pretty sure the BSD version did it for (a)
> performance,

Using e2fsprogs libraries should be at least as performant as reading
the blocks myself. I think that if we can improve the speed of reading
filesystem/inode information, we should do this in e2fsprogs, so all
tools could benefit of it...

> and (b) so it could easily keep track of inode
> information to make incremental restores easier (not that you couldn't
> do it with stat(), but that's yet another syscall to slow things
> down).

e2fsprogs gives all the inode information available, so I don't see your
point here...

Stelian.

--
    /\