=?utf-8?B?UkU6IER1YWwgQ2VsZXJvbiBCUDYgYm9hcmRzIGFyZW4ndCBzdGFi?=

DApel@omnipoint.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:19:13 -0700

I've got six BP6 boards running with dual 400s (no overclocking, retail
boxed CPU/heatsinks), using kernel 2.2.12. Functions are packet filter,
name server, application proxy, mail exchanger, default router, and network
management. These boxes see a lot of activity, and so far I'm very pleased
with their reliability.

Other hardware is ICP Vortex GDT 32MB Raid5 Controller, 3x4GB SCSI ST34520W
drives, 3c905b-tx cards, CalPC mini-redundant hot-swappable power supply,
and 128MB PC100 ram. No problems (had one that would hang once in a while,
but that turned out to be a fixable networking issue). I am using MPS 1.4
in the bios, and I'm using the original (v1.0?) Abit bios, since I don't
have any IDE devices that would benefit from the HPT66 updates. I've been
using MPS 1.4 since day 1 with these machines because I had read some blurbs
about it working better than 1.1 as long as you weren't getting fancy with
USB or anything. So, I can't really say whether
stability/performance/functionality is affected by the MPS standard.

The only complaint I have with the boards is that sometimes the keyboard
power signal gets horked up -- sometimes you can unplug a keyboard and plug
it back it with everything working, and sometimes you just get garbage, or
no response until you reboot. I wish it was a little more constant, so I
could reliably know if I could do it or not.

If you are overclocking, I would really recommend following the advice on
the www.bp6.com website and throw some heatsink paste under the green
chipset heatsink. I can see daylight betwixt the chipset and the heatsink
on a couple of my boards.

Oh yeah, one more thing that might not be immediately obvious -- the board
only has 4 bus-mastering PCI slots. You cannot use the 5th slot for a
bus-mastering device such as a 3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Ethernet card. You'll
get all sorts of goofy behavior. I couldn't find any mention of this in
the board docs or Abit's website, but apparently it's true for
[some|most|all?] BX boards, as a function of the chipset. I read this on
some hardware review site like Ars Technica or something. Don't know how
accurate this tidbit is, except that the 3com 3c90xcfg.exe diagnostics
report that any 905B card in the 5th slot isn't capable of bus-mastering and
can't communicate, then it hangs.

Doug Apel
Sr. Network Administrator
Omnipoint Technologies, Inc.