latency-profiling (Was: Re: Linux 2.2.14pre6)

Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@skelleftea.mail.telia.com)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:34:02 +0100

Hi,

I developed a instrumentation patch to catch code that run in kernel
for a long time (> 5 ms). It is really written for 2.2.13
but it should be easily adaptable to any kernel.

More info at:
http://www.norran.net/nra02596/

It needs another higher priority thread wanting to run
you can use Bennos latency test.

http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio/
[current at http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/latencytest-0.42.tar.gz ]

/RogerL

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > > For some reason I get serial overrun errors with 2.2.14pre6:
>
> > Does backing out the mdelay(1) added to the pc keyboard driver fix
> > this. If so I'll pull that change until someone has time to redo it
> > to avoid irq problems
>
> The 2.2 IDE driver disables interrupts for up to around 20ms. I
> suspect that this depends on the drive. i.e. it sometimes waits inside
> the IRQ for the drive to do its thing instead of waiting for the next
> interrupt. This is probably a problem in the drive, that we simply
> used to handle a lot better before....
>
> Roger.
>
> --
> ** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
> *-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
> "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."
>
> -

The Internet interprets Windows as damage, and routes around it.

Roger Larsson Skellefteċ Sweden