Re: Announce: LVM Patch against kernel 2.3.28

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:36:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Hans Reiser wrote:

> > I can see LVM getting into a standard kernel but not really ext3
> > (journalling ext2) or reiserfs. Ext3 adds stuff to the buffer cache
> > behaviour that needs further figuring for 2.3.x to make Linus happy.
> > Reiserfs exports half of the buffer cache into itself and includes
> > extra C files in fs/buffer.c and has similar questions to solve.
>
> We are throwing out most of the schedule tracking stuff that gets
> included into buffer.c as part of our SMP overhaul, and that should be
> done soon (it is being debugged now.)

Cool..

> That said, we don't distrurb other folks's code, so why is it such an
> issue?

Because you might disturb other folks' _data_, if reiserfs goes wonky.
It's easy to say "reiserfs is a bit too unproven for /home, but I'll
happily put my squid cache onto it", without realising

> I don't understand the comment about exporting half of the buffer
> cache into itself.

I think Alan meant that reiserfs imports an awful lot of buffer cache
internals which filesystems aren't supposed to see.

> > There is also a problem that right now neither ext3 or reiserfs can
> > journal over software raid.
>
> This is a RAID/MM design issue. Surely you can't blame us for that
> one....

Yes, but if (as has been suggested) the plan is finally to get the RAID
patches in before 2.4 (please, please, please, etc), then I reckon it's
better to delay journalling.

> and surely it is not so hard to make journaling and RAID exclusive
> configurations until it gets worked out.....

If 2.5++ is at least as quick to come out as 2.4, then my opinion, such
as it is, is that the various journalling patches could live quite happily
as well-maintained external patches, just as RAID and LVM have (though
hopefull not for as long :)

MAtthew.