Re: Blank console on keyboard request

David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:48:58 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>FWIW, I have a VAIO 505TX, and Fn-D, suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk
>all work just fine under Linux. Fn-D isn't reported to the system at
>all on my VAIO, since it's handled (correctly) by the APM BIOS in System
>Management Mode.....

Many of the Fn+<key> combinations are no longer handled by the APM BIOS in
the new model N505 Sony notebooks. Some Windows program is used instead.
They have also switched to a winmodem and the Yamaha YMF-744B audio
controller (Yamaha requires an NDA for programming specs). It's too bad,
they are such nice computers, but these models don't work so well with
Linux.

Even booting the Red Hat PCMCIA install disk from a USB floppy -- which
also doesn't work from Linux -- required hacking the initrd's PCMCIA
options file, since my Xircom CEM56 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card was
assigned IRQ 5 which conflicts with the PCI audio controller. And the
Xircom driver is broken, since the card doesn't work after suspend/resume
or eject/insert cycles.

But I wonder why my suspend-to-disk doesn't work, since it did use a BIOS
function under Windows...

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91