Re: 2.2.13 kernel oops

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:01:20 +1100

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:03:10 -0400 (AST),
<synrg@bgpc.dymaxion.ca> wrote:
>Note that I did not specify -v. This is because I only have vmlinuz,
>not vmlinux. Apparently Debian's make-kpkg cleans up vmlinux after
>itself, and it does not include it in the kernel-image_*.deb package
>that it creates, either. :( Is this why the call trace and code lines
>are missing?

vmlinux is optional, if used it forms another cross check on the
validity of the kernel addresses. That is why the default is -V for no
vmlinux. You should still see the call trace and code lines, they
should be in the log immediately after the stack addresses. Please
double check your log file to see if those lines are present.

There are three critical fields for an oops, the EIP, the call trace
and the code. With only the eip it is almost impossible to determine
the cause of the problem.