Re: [patch] Re: rmmod -a does not unload unused modules in 2.2.x

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:04:59 +1100

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:51:54 +0200 (EET),
Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Keith Owens wrote:
>Yes, I see the race condition now. However, I still feel my patch is
>correct (in theory) and what is also needed with it, is a some kind of user
>space lock (a lock file, for example).

Q - When would a user space lock be released?
A - After the module had been used and was no longer required.

MOD_USED_ONCE together with the other MOD_ flags and reference *is* a
lock. Changing to a user space lock would (a) be much more kernel code
(b) have exactly the same problem.

>>find out why you are loading modules marked as autoclean but not using
>>them.

That is your real problem. Replacing one lock type with another is
fiddling with the symptoms, not the cause.