Re: SoundBlaster Live! module in 2.3.x kernels does not work

Ferdinand Prantl (Ferdinand.Prantl@ff.cuni.cz)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:42:00 +0100

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 06:48:17AM -0600, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> You need to recompile the module, you generally cannot run a binary module
> if it has been compiled for a different version of the kernel.

Yeah - but I wrote that I tried both options - I have emu10k1 new source
too... I really compiled it from the source.
However I'm still getting those annoying messages about missing references
(like I wrote in the last mail)...

Only to add - you can sometimes run binary module in more versions.
Before Creative released source I (and there was more of us) used binary
they provided for 2.2.10. It works up to 2.2.13 - only they added switch
-f to get rid of version error. For some modules which can last over a few
kernel releases it is able to "reuse" them...

I understand it is not the good idea in general but there was no one else.

So there is different problem here, anyway.

Regards,

Ferda Pranl

P.S. Besides, is anybody using emu10k1 with the 2.3.x kernels ?

--

"Jen ve svych snech jsme svobodni. Po zbytek zivota potrebujeme penize." ---------------------------------- Ferdinand Prantl LVT FF UK e-mail: prantl@ff.cuni.cz www: http://www.ff.cuni.cz/~prantl ICQ: 36302930