Re: atyfb and aty128fb faillure 2.3.29 ond x86

James Simmons (jsimmons@edgeglobal.com)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:14:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Gregoire FAVRE wrote:

> I have just compiled 3 2.3.29 and tried first a kernel with atyfb only: on the AGP card,
> I got:
> atyfb : 3D RAGE PRO (PQFP, PCI) [0x4750 rev 0x7e] 512K RESV, 14.31818 MHz PLL, 100 MHz MCLK
> and the screen on it turn on and show me vertical lines of blue, light blue, green and repeat.
> And the boot hangs...
>
> Secondly the kernel with atyfb and aty128fb: exactly the same result...
>
> Finaly, aty128fb only:
>
> The system boots, but can't see anything in any console other than garbage, but X just works
> as normal, I have taken those from dmesg:

> Rage128 BIOS located at segment C00C0000
> aty128fb: Rage128 [rev 0x2] 32M
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on PCI
> Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported

First are you passing anything on the boot prompt to the framebuffer
device? Next it looks like you selected 'Advanced low level driver
options' and somehow turned off support for 8 bit width fonts. Can you
post your .config. This fiel should be in /usr/src/linux. It's whats
generated after you run make [x,menu]config.

> I found strange the AGP card being reported as PCI, isn't it?

No. AGP is a extension of PCI. Its backwards compatiable.

-----==-
---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ James Simmons
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / jsimmons@edgeglobal.com
-=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ fbcon/gfx developer