Re: Problems with block device drivers

mgibbins@mak.net.au
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:22:30 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:39:08 +1100 (EST),
>
> The kernel was compiled with kernel symbols (genksyms) but your modules
> were compiled without genksyms. Fundamental mismatch, no way they will
> load.

> Unless you can work out what you changed to get this mixture and can
> correct the problem, the safest option is save your .config, make
> mrproper, restore your .config and rebuild the kernel and all modules
> from scratch, then reinstall. It could be something as simple as
> genksyms not working with the new compiler and/or library but rather
> than stuff about trying to locate the problem, clean out and restart.

Could be some oddity with the compiler and library...The only reason I
noticed the problem was because I decided to set the cdrom and zip drivers
as modules. However, doing an mrproper clean of the source tree and full
rebuild hasn't solved the problems. Now all modules fail to load (I've
retained the precompiled object files and a working kernel as a backup).
I've rebuilt the modutils package against the new library/compiler and the
problem still occurs. When I do ldd against the binaries everything
appears fine. genksyms appears on examination to be perfectly OK.
I had previously built the kernel against egcs and glibc-2.1.1 without
problems. This included a build from a fresh source tree with the original
configuration.
This is odd as I have CONFIG_MODULES CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and CONFIG_KMOD
set to 'y'...
However, it is still possible to insert the originall module objects
into the new kernel.
Thanks,
Matt

--
Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
        Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,