Re: atyfb and aty128fb faillure 2.3.29 ond x86 and question

James Simmons (jsimmons@edgeglobal.com)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:56:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Gregoire FAVRE wrote:

> Gregoire FAVRE wrote:
>
> First of all, thanks for the answers that were given to me.

No problem.

> I have rebuild those tree kernels with the needed fonts:

I sent a patch to fix this problem. It will be in 2.3.30.

> > I have one ATI Xpert@play 8 Mb PCI and one ATI Rage Furry 32 Mb AGP, with two monitors.
> >
> > I have just compiled 3 2.3.29 and tried first a kernel with atyfb only: on the AGP card,
> > I got:
> > atyfb : 3D RAGE PRO (PQFP, PCI) [0x4750 rev 0x7e] 512K RESV, 14.31818 MHz PLL, 100 MHz MCLK
> > and the screen on it turn on and show me vertical lines of blue, light blue, green and repeat.
> > And the boot hangs...
>
> No change at all :-(

In the driver you will see

/*
* Debug flags.
*/
#undef DEBUG

Change that to #define DEBUG. This will give extra output. Also boot with
vgacon and have atyfb built as a module. Then do a

/sbin/insmod atyfb.o vc:0-0

This way you will only lose the first console if the driver bombs. Then
you can switch to another console and look at the log files debug info to
see what happened.

> > Secondly the kernel with atyfb and aty128fb: exactly the same result...
>
> Guess what: :-(

I have one question. The linux console system has no real multihead
support. So even if you have more than one framebuffer device all the 32
possible virtual consoles will be allocated to the first
framebuffer. Their is program called con2fbmap that maps VCs to a another
framebuffer. Most likely even with both framebuffer compiled in they are
all allocated to the same to the one fbdev that crapping out on you.

> > Finaly, aty128fb only:
> >
> > The system boots, but can't see anything in any console other than garbage, but X just works
> > as normal, I have taken those from dmesg:
>
> And here's the good change: I discovered a great graphic mode :-)))) very nice!!!

Ah. Sounds like what I said above. Sounds like your atyfb is the problem.

> Is there a way to boot in other resolution (like under PPC) without the
> need of fbset?

If you mean at boot time then yes. Read linux/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt.

> And finaly, what's could be wrong with my atyfb for not booting?

>From what you said it sounds like your problem is the atyfb driver and not
the aty128fb driver. Try teh atyfb driver as amoduel and insmod it with
DEBUG enabled.

-----==-
---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ James Simmons
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / jsimmons@edgeglobal.com