Re: Large memory question

Ingo Molnar (mingo@redhat.com)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:32:22 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> Would I be right in thinking that your large memory work
> could conceivably extend to allowing a non large-mem box
> to have RAM + swap > virtual address space?

yes. The page cache as of in 2.3.30-pre3 should be able to handle a couple
of terrabytes of swapspace. The major change enabling this was not really
highmem though, it was the cleanup of the pagecache that resulted in
page->index being page-granularity. I havent yet tried adding 4+ GB of
swapspace though, there still might be some stupidities left in there.

actually, the limit with 2-level pagetable entries is 64GB swap space
(only 24 bits of index fits into a pte), with 3-level page table entries
(PAE mode) it's 16 terrabytes.

-- mingo