Re: AVL trees vs. Red-Black trees

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:43:13 +0100

Thank you for an informative summary.

Manfred Spraul wrote:
> 5) if the CPU sees a "lock;", "xchg", "in", "out" or any serializing
> instruction, then it reevaluates all speculative reads that the cpu
> has made.

I noticed Andrea Arcangeli repeatedly pointing out the difference
between atomicity and serialisation, and that "lock;" guarantees
atomicity not serialisation. Yet here you suggest that "any serializing
instruction" includes the atomic ones. What am I misunderstanding?

And the that matter, whch instructions are serialising in this way? Is
"sfence" serialising? What about a far jump? (Far jump serialises the
execution unit in as much as you need one to switch between real &
protected modes, for example, but I don't think it serialises memory
accesses).

And of course, are the rules for non-Intel "x86 compatible" processors
just as strong?

thanks,
-- Jamie