Re: atyfb and aty128fb faillure 2.3.29 ond x86 and question

Gregoire FAVRE (gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:43:05 +0100

James Simmons wrote:

> In the driver you will see
>
> /*
> * Debug flags.
> */
> #undef DEBUG
>
> Change that to #define DEBUG. This will give extra output. Also boot with
> vgacon and have atyfb built as a module. Then do a
>
> /sbin/insmod atyfb.o vc:0-0
>
> This way you will only lose the first console if the driver bombs. Then
> you can switch to another console and look at the log files debug info to
> see what happened.

I have done it, but nsmod atyfb.o vc:0-0 don't work: insmod takes all CPU times
and don't give me the hand back... and lsmod don't show that module... so I tried
modprobe and the module got loaded, the other screen wake up, but the system crash...
So I could not give you any debug info... Is there another way?

> > Is there a way to boot in other resolution (like under PPC) without the
> > need of fbset?
>
> If you mean at boot time then yes. Read linux/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt.
>
> > And finaly, what's could be wrong with my atyfb for not booting?
>
> >From what you said it sounds like your problem is the atyfb driver and not
> the aty128fb driver. Try teh atyfb driver as amoduel and insmod it with
> DEBUG enabled.

I don't understand the modedb.txt: I have tried to put one append="video=1024x768-16@85"
in lilo.conf, but that doesn't work... How should I tell lilo that aty128fb should be
1600x1200-16@75 and that atyfb (if it would works once...) at 1280x1024-16@75?

Many thanks,

Please, don't cc to me: I am on the list...

Greg ICQ:16624071