Re: fbcon + scrolling = irq timeouts?

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:21:31 +0100

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 10:57:55PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Has anyone else experienced IRQ timeouts while playing MP3s and scrolling
> > large text files in a VESA framebuffer console? From what I can see, no
> > cards are conflicting with each other in any way. Maybe someone else can
> > help me out. Vital data:
>
> Welcome to VESA frame buffer. It uses BIOS functions. These can lock the
> interrupts off for a long time. Basically no cure available

VESA-2 compilant BIOSes introduced protected mode interface for video
functions except (afaik) mode switching but it's needed only once.
And if linear frame buffer is supported by your card, you have got the same
memory mapped video ram area like with non-vesa frame buffer, isn't it ?
I don't understand the differnece between vesa and non-vesa frame buffer and
why do you lock interruppts ?

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
                       Our very last hope : the future