Re: fbcon + scrolling = irq timeouts?

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:01:49 +0100

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 12:39:26PM +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:
> PS: Alan , I think most mp3 players use a relatively big buffersize
> (most of time the full 64k of soundcard), and I don't think that VESA
> disables
> the IRQs for 370ms ( the time it takes to play the 64k audio buffer)

Yes, but imho redrawing frame buffer console blocks the kernel, scheduling,
IRQ processing, right ? If so, it's possible to remain only a few kilobytes
to play for DMA, and it can't play newer buffer block since end of dma
irq or so is not received since IRQs are locked during frame buffer console
redrawings. Or I'm wrong and even during this scheduling and IRQ receiving is
enabled ?

(maybe something kernel thread would be usefull for framebuffer updates
because scheduler can schedule it as well ...)

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
                       Our very last hope : the future