Re: Kernel in userland

lars brinkhoff (lars.brinkhoff@intermec.com)
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:35:22 +0100

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> I've heard a rumour that someone ported Linux Kernel so it can run as
> an user process under Unix. Where can I find it?

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/karaya/uml/uml.html

There's also another project, as of now unknown to most of the world,
to port Linux to a i386 simulator running in user space. This simulator
runs user processes as usual, and implements privileged instructions
using Unix system calls (MMU -> mmap(), timer interrupt -> setitimer(),
syscalls -> ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL), etc). Some info about the CPU
simulator can be found at
http://www.nocrew.org/software/a386/