Re: unreadable doc files in kernel tarball

Brion Vibber (brion@gizmo.usc.edu)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:34:18 -0800 (PST)

On 29 Nov 1999, Mike Coleman wrote:
> I untar as root, since I don't allow anyone else to write to /usr/src. So the
> file ends up being readable only by root. I'd like to be able to peruse the
> bloody source without su'ing to root, though.

You can always use a symbolic link from /usr/src/linux to, say,
/home/myself/src/kernel/linux ... Nobody but root is writing to /usr/src,
but the kernel source is in the expected location for anything that needs
to look for it.

Plus you only need to be root to install the kernel, you can configure and
build (and read the docs) as yourself.

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)