Re: keyboard problem, again, Toshiba Satellite

lk@mailandnews.com
02 Dec 1999 09:23:20 +0000

Andrei Pitis <pink@roedu.net> writes:

> On Wed, 1 December 1999, James Simmons wrote:
> >
> > Can you specify the exact problem?
>
> When you press a shift (ctrl, alt, shift) and a key - *sometimes* the
> controller ignores the repeat delay and repeats the key, sending very
> close (tens of miliseconds) key_down interrups (kbd MAKEs). In other
> words, *sometimes* when I briefly press 'Ctrl-C' and get a bunch (4-5)
> of them...

I'd swear my Toshiba Portege 7020 does this on unshifted keys too, but
of course I can't get it to happen when I want it to...

> My fix (included in the orig msg) sets up a delay of 200 ms (20
> jiffies) after each new scancode received, and ignores a same scancode
> in this period. If another scancode appears in this time window - it
> resets the counter - well, trivial fix... Since this does not break
> anything, IMO, I would be very happy if smbd would put it in the
> kernel, at least configurable somehow...

I was pretty suprised that there wasn't any debounce code already in
the keyboard driver. I would have thought that other keyboard controllers
would exhibit this once very common problem. There is some debounce handling
in drivers/char/pc110pad.c though.

Paul