Re: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

Eric Brunet (ebrunet@clipper.ens.fr)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 00:02:35 +0100 (MET)

In ens.mailing-lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:
>The *only* disadvantage of hard links is that people can prevent you
>from cleaning up when you reach your quota limit. On filesystems
>without quotas, lusers will just punish themselves as much as you,
>thus it's a self-correcting problem.
>
>So, *IF* you are on a FS with quotas, and *IF* you are working in a
>hostile environment, *THEN* you should lock off your directories.

Just my 2 cents, but if your environment is that hostile, you don't even
need to lock your directories. A simple solution is to modify (or
wrap) rm in such a way that it truncates the files to size 0 before
unlinking them. No leak of quota space, no security concern, no need to
lock one's directory, no need for set[gu]id script, no need for new
groups...

Éric Brunet