Re: [linux-usb] URB-ifying usb

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 00:38:24 -0800 (PST)

[ back to work.. ugh ]

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:

> Please don't apply this yet. There are still some places where the API
> is ill defined and even more important, the UHCI driver included here is
> not safe. There are many places where it doesn't adhere to API as well
> as race conditions in the removal of TD's.

Also, the following seems to need serious cleanup in the URB code:

- horrible mixed indentation. Some of the code uses the silly GNU indent
style, which is unreadable and evil.

- what's the deal with the error codes? Makes no sense at all to me. Why
come up with a new way of specifying errors, when there's existing
practice that is (a) existing and (b) a lot more readable and clear.

The existing error handling practice is very simple: _explicitly_ negative
error numbers, with the numbers simply being errno values. Get rid of that
stupid USB_ST_xxxx crap completely, and just use "-Exxxx" consistently.

I'm entirely open to the new URB's, as everybody I've seen seems to agree
with the basic need for them, but I don't want to have stupid things
introduced with the new code.

I'm less worried than JE about early code: I'd rather cut over to the new
architecture earlier rather than later. So please do the cleanups, and
I'll be happy to apply it if people in general don't scream..

Linus