Re: malware defense

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 14:14:11 +0000 (GMT)

> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
>
> > > How do you protect against corruption/replacement of the daemon software
> > > that checks the images?
> >
> > Keep it in physically unwritable media, like a CD-R in a CD-ROM drive.
>
> How will it help if trojan already modified the kernel image?

Or if the compiler you used was unsafe, or the compiler that built that
compiler or..

Mr Turning says "you lose" 8)

More seriously I know of at least one bunch of people who not
only audited Linux by hand, and each app they wanted but also audited gcc,
and binutils built their trusted gcc with their own in house cc/libs and built
everything with their trusted compiler set.

Alan