Re: (XFree86) mmap of /proc/XXX/mem

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:26:29 +0100

On Dec 04, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I tried something like that, too. However I didn't fill up the file -
> > I used lseek instead, this way I was only able to access the first
> > page. If I tried to access any higher pages it bus-errored. Maybe filling
> > it up does the trick - however then the process will get a private copy
> > of all pages in this 1Meg - even the ones that are not touched by the BIOS.
> > This will give me a 1Meg footprint for each real mode image.
>
> 1Meg per videocard is not _that_ bad. It is not worse than using dirty
> tricks. If you want 4.0 released some day, I'd suggest to use this and
> look at optimizing later.

and if you're using 2-4 cards and start 1-2 servers you'll need and use up
plenty of (no longer but hopefully free) space in /tmp just for such a
hacky workaround? yuck :-(

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\