Re: Binary drivers

Kendall Bennett (KendallB@scitechsoft.com)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:40:20 -0800

Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Wrong. You will only get a performance hit *if* there has been a
> > change to the internal kernel API's that necessitate a compatibility
> > layer to be implemented so the old drivers can still be used.
>
> And you'll carry that performance hit every time you make these
> changes.

Of course, but as you said below these changes happen very rarely
indeed.

> How much of this should we carry? Should Linux 3.4 still support
> the old PCI interfaces? If it did, it would be only to avoid
> losing some binary driver whose author/supplier was undoubtedly
> negligent.

Eventually there comes a time when you can remove the old interfaces
when they are no longer desirable for maintanance reasons.

> The Linux device driver interfaces (such as they are) are fairly
> stable indeed. The higher-level interfaces (for filesystems, for
> example) are a lot more mobile, but this isn't your issue.
>
> The fact is that stable kernels have a fairly static driver
> interface, which is _almost always_ source-compatible, if not
> binary-compatible.

Exactly! If the interfaces really are very stable and hardly ever
change, then what the hell is all the fuss about actually *defining*
what the currently API's are so that binary compatibility can be
assured?

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |