Re: Kernel panic: B_FREE inserted into queues

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 03:17:34 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 kernel@ddx.a2000.nu wrote:
>
>>just compiled 2.2.14pre11 (+ide patches + raid patches)
>
>Could you try to reproduce without the raid patches? In the meantime I'll
>recheck the code in paranoid mode. Thanks for the report.

I rechecked and there are no problems in such path. insert_into_queues()
is called only from two places:

1) getblk
2) file_buffer

(1) it's always called after the init_buffer, so to generate such a panic
somebody should be doing a getblk(... B_FREE ...) and in such case it's
fine to panic (probably a stack trace would be better though...). But I am
pretty sure this's not what is going on as it's not trivial to do such a
mistake in the filesystem code ;).

(2) is called only from refile_buffer that printk and return if the
bh->b_dev is equal to B_FREE.

So I guess the problem is that the raid patches that you applyed are not
happy if used with 2.2.14pre11 (I'll have a look tomorrow). The official
raid code in the kernel should work just fine instead.

Andrea