Re: over 5Gb missing from a 13.5Gb disk

Kristofer T. Karas (ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 22:41:02 -0500

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>I'm having a problem with a new IBM IDE disk I just bought
>Model=IBM-DJNA-371350, FwRev=J76OA30K, SerialNo=GM0GM088910
>Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
>RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34

There's your problem. The number of cylinders is here is causing problems, as
it is clamped to 2^14. Most BIOSes let you lower this number by increasing the
number of phony heads to 255. With heads set to 255, your CHS values would be
1650/255/63, which the BIOS and FDISK (and thence the kernel) will understand.
Try playing around with the disk geometry parameters in your BIOS to change the
large/normal/lba setting until you achieve those values. (But note: if you
have Windoze installed, you'll need to back up your disk and reinstall, as it
changes the mappings!)

Kris