Re: over 5Gb missing from a 13.5Gb disk

TimO (hairballmt@mcn.net)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:56:32 -0700

Hmmm... Maybe my stupid workaround for my old 486 wasn't so stupid after
all. Circa 1994 486 with 13 gig hd; no way to get the bios to recognize
the correct geometry: max of 4096 cylinders. I just set c/h/s to
1023/16/63 and made a ~500 meg / 128 meg swap and 2 more 6+ gig partitions
and it works just fine with kernel 2.2.13. 'Course it is a Maxtor drive.
(plug)

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <01JJ6TE5BJS2000G0L@rcum.uni-mb.si> DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si) wrote:
> > I thought LBA put an end to geometry nightmares !?
>
> Unfortunatelly not :-/ Reason is simple: you MUST have some c/h/s settings
> stored in partition table. And for correct boot you NEED them to be consistent
> with BIOS imagination about disk. So nightmares are just slightly moved, not
> ended :-/
>
> > AFAIK the recent kernel has full support for the IDE hardware, so
> > the BIOS should not matter at all. ( except for booting )
>
> And this "except" is root of all problems: you MUST have proper information
> stored in partition table.
>
> > I personally never had any such problems,
> > so this reports are a little bit confusing.
>
> You are lucky then :-) I had such problems even with SCSI disks where such
> problems should be non-existent "by definition". They are exists and REALLY
> annoying :-/
>
> > On a related topic , what other parts of the BIOS are being
> > used or depended on by the linux kernel ?
>
> PCI, APM ...

-- Tim
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit
within him? In the same way, no one knows the thoughts of God except
the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the
Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given
us.
-- I Corinthians 2:11,12