Re: unsigned short for nlink_t

Russell Coker (russell@coker.com.au)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:08:59 +0100

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999, Guest section DW wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 10:24:31PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
>> Currently we have an unsigned short used for the number of hard links to a
>> file.
>> I have an application which uses 30,000 hard links and I had hoped to scale
>> it to more than 64K hard links...
>>
>> Is there any possibility that this could be changed in future kernels? Or is
>> POSIX forcing it to be only a 16bit number?
>
>nlink_t: arithmetic type of an appropriate length
>
>B.2.5 says: the type nlink_t was introduced in place of short in response
>to an objection that short was too small.
>
>So, yes, you are right, one more short that has to become int.

Oh good!

Apparently Ext2 and Ext3 won't be able to use this, but I think that ReiserFS
will. Is there any chance that this can go into kernel 2.4 so that when
using ReiserFS on Linux 2.4 I'll be able to use the 500,000 links to a file
that I want?

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with