Re: Linux headed for disaster?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:43:06 +0000

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 02:44:07PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >We actually do something like that: we have a script (make-kpkg) that
> >will build modules for your kernel and create a nice package for that you
> >can install. You run it from your kernel-source dir and it will automatically
> >pick up the right kernel version and configuration for the modules.

> I would like to take this even further, when you install a third party
> driver, vmware's
> modules for example. they:
> -install their src in: /usr/src/drivers/vmware

/usr/src/modules/vmware

> -compile it against the current kernel, assuming that the headers from
> the running kernel are
> always in /usr/src/linux-version and if that doesn't exist in
> /usr/src/linux, and install the
> module(s).

cd /usr/src/linux (assuming /usr/src/linux is symlinked to the running kernel
somehow, shouldn't be too difficult)

make-kpkg modules_image

[..]
> -whenever I install a new kernel package (rpm or deb) the rpm also knows
> about the
> /usr/src/drivers hiearchy and rebuilds them too.

Ok, that doesn't work yet :-/

This (the current Debian approach) looks complicated when you first read
about it, but it does help to clear up a lot of confusion in the long run,
trust me <g>

--
"His mind is like a steel trap -- full of mice"