Re: Toshiba kbd patch

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:25:51 +0100

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 07:28:05AM +0200, Andrei Pitis wrote:

> Ok, though it only affects PC architectures: pc_keyb.c - is this used
> for other architectures as well?

In a few cases, yes.

> Also, is there a safe way to intercept/get kbd rate/delay settings?
> That would be a good delay to use...

No. Some architectures use an ioctl (different ioctls on different archs)
but on i386 the program kbdrate just writes /dev/port.

Probably 100ms would suffice. It seems that the key up event comes much earlier.

Note that scancode repeat is not good enough: many keys produce an e0 xx pair
and repeat that; more complicated things also occur.
So, you could consider intercepting repetition at the keycode instead of the
scancode level.

[I also find that aesthetically more satisfying: the scancode level really shows
the raw keyboard with all its quirks.]