Re: What I suspect

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:48:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> It's already implemented. Similar to Sun's scheme. And it's possible
> to completely disable it if you don't need it.
>
> Linus, Ulrich is right here. It costs next to nothing, it costs the
> same 1 stat/open/mmap if the optimized library is present, ld.so
> already has the platform string formed by the time ld.so begins the
> search.

This sounds like "we're already doing things that are so expensive, that
it won't even show on the radar".

Which may be true. But I'm still hoping that somebody will do the
prelinked trick, and I'll bet that it will just blow the current setup out
of the water.

glibc has now been around so long that people have already forgotten how
horrified some people were about the startup costs. Nobody compares it to
the old silly fixed-address a.out libraries. (No, the old scheme was bad,
no question about that. But it was better than the current dynamic setup
in some respects, no question about that either. And I think it should be
technically possible to get the best of both worlds..)

Linus