Re: What I suspect

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:03:10 +0100 (MET)

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > So I've considered having a magic user-mapped page for quite some time,
> > > because we have several of these cases where the kernel can generate code
> > > at run-time to its own advantage. The sysenter thing is just an obvious
> > > extension to this - allowing the kernel to generate whatever entry
> > > sequence is the best for that particular CPU.
> >
> > Talking about "magic user-mapped pages": Some things like "getpid ()"
> > are horrendously more inefficient than they need be. If there was a
> > magic kernel-page that the user-app has read access to, then these
> > calls would become enormously more efficient.
>
> And there goes any talk about not screwing TLB over this thing...

Right. But if your application happens to profit from the MEGA_FAST
access to "getpid" and the likes, it is not a bad idea to have the
tlb allocated for this use.

If you DON"T call getpid and friends, your application won't get the
tlb entry allocated right?

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."