Re: Again: EQL - someone's use this thing yet?

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 01:47:17 -0900 (AKST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Vladislav Malyshkin wrote:

> I use mulipath routing for that. Install ip program from Alexey
> Kuznetsov iproute-2.2.4-2 package (on RedHat 6.1) then entablish
> all your ppp links WITHOUT default route set in ppp configuration.
> then

> /sbin/ip route add default nexthop via gateway.number.1.ip
> dev ppp0 nexthop via gateway.number.2.ip dev ppp1 nexthop via
> gateway.number.2.ip dev ppp2
>
> all these things I handle by scripts in
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.local /etc/ppp/ip-down.local
>
> when you do
> /sbin/ip route list
> you will see default routing as multipath routing:
>
> default
> nexthop via 10.65.60.12 dev ppp1 weight 1
> nexthop via 10.65.60.12 dev ppp0 weight 1
>
> It works, but it is not perfect.
> Some times it does not do good balancing.

As a followup to my prev message, the patch *is* part of the
diffserv package, and the command would be

/sbin/ip route add default equalize nexthop via gateway.number.1.ip \
dev ppp0 nexthop via gateway.number.2.ip dev ppp1

/sbin/ip route list gets you

default equalize
nexthop via 10.65.60.12 dev ppp1 weight 1
nexthop via 10.65.60.12 dev ppp0 weight 1

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.