Re: Binary drivers

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:52:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> How about open-source stuff that *isn't* shipped with the kernel? (VMware's
> drivers (?), iBCS (not that it accesses drivers directly --- I think), etc.)

Want a lovely story about undead suckitude?

Back in July '94 (1.1.35, IIRC), when Linux did not support block sizes
other than 1024, somebody had thought that it would be cool to have
swapfiles on FAT filesystems. Instead of doing the right thing the new
interface was added: ->smap(). Same as bmap(), but works on sectors
instead of blocks. Great. Fortunately, somebody else _did_ the right thing
and did the support for other block sizes (late October '94, 1.1.60). At
that moment ->smap() became obsolete. Especially since for FAT blocksize
immediately became 512 bytes. All nice and dandy, everything happened
within one development branch, so ->smap() was goner, right? Like hell it
was. FPOS lingered around until _NOW_. Killed in 2.3.30-pre7. Should it be
left around forever? I don't think so. Sorry. If it means recompile - so
be it.