Re: Yamaha Sound Drivers

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:03:28 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > > I am willing to help test drivers for the YMF744B chipset, if that will help.
> > The docs available arent sufficient basically
> Is this the latest doc, dated Feb 3 1999? I just looked at it, and it
> looked sufficient enough to create /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer without any
> SB compatibility modes... though it documented those registers fairly
> well too.

Yep the Feb 3 1999 one is the one everyone has.

I think Alan had a go at it and couldnt get it to work using the docs.
Basically there is some undocumented setup required for the ymf744b to
work at all. Maybe someone can reverse engineer the DOS init program and
figure it out.

Basically this isnt going to work until Yamaha wakes up. Makes you wonder
what theyre hiding.

-Dan