Re: Getting big areas of memory, in 2.3.x?

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 21:45:14 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > What's the best way to get a large region of DMA'able memory for use
> > with framegrabbers and other greedy drivers?
>
> Do you need physically linear memory >

Yes. For the Meteor-II grabber I don't think so, but it looks like the
older (but mostly compatible) Corona needs it.

> > Per a thread on glx-dev, Andi Kleen mentions that the new 2.3.x MM stuff
> > still doesn't allieviate the need for bigphysarea and similar patches.
>
> It helps, however the best answer is to use sane hardware which has scatter
> gather - eg the bttv frame grabbers grab 1Mb of memory or more, but they
> grab it as arbitary pages not a linear block.

That's the easy answer too :)

--
Jeff Garzik              | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024            | an alien menace that wasn't immune to