Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: atyfb with 2.3.30 ond x86

Jim Nance (jnance@nortelnetworks.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:12:39 -0500

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 10:25:43AM -0500, James Simmons wrote:

> Ahhhh! Way are hardware companies so brain dead? Intels are not the only
> computers in the world. What do we do? Have the kernel have a built in x86
> emulator to setup brain dead hardware. I don't want to do that. What
> really needs to done is to ask these companies to release the info to set
> a mode without resorting to the BIOS.

That is what Digital Unix does. I don't know if others do it this way or
not. I agree that its an unpleasant solution, but w/o HW vendors being
interested in the non-x86 market, its probably the least bad way of
solving the problem.

I think there is some sort of spec that wants the init code to be written
in forth so you can make a PCI card that will work on both the Mac and the
PC. I have not heard much about it lately so I don't know if anyone does
this or not.

Jim