Re: Again: EQL - someone's use this thing yet?

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:52:00 -0800

George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Thomas Davis wrote:
>

> > Then it won't work with Cisco Etherchannel, or Sun Trunking software.
> > These protocols are mac hardware based; so, you can balance more than
> > just IP (IPX, Appletalk, even NETBIOS can be balanced across it.)
> >
> > Ok. So that means my channel bonding device is still needed.
> >

> Has that bonding device been fixed (I am thinking about the beowulf
> bonding stuff) to properly recognize when a link goes down? I had to scrap
> it earlier this year because it tried to continue using a device even if
> the cable was removed. Since the card drive did not queue packets of the
> link was down, the transmit buffer never filled and the bonding driver
> never removed that channel from the group.

That's a driver issue. If there was to get that information out of the
driver (ie, a flag that indicated the cable was unplugged, for
instance), then yes, the bond device I have can do that. It's a true
master/slave relationship; all of the xmit devices are slaves, and the
master does absolutely no xmitting, except to queue a packet to a slave.