Re: Again: EQL - someone's use this thing yet?

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:37:33 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> MAC addresses are not essential, they may be equal, may be not equal.
> The devices can be just completely physically different.
> F.e. you can balance 100Mbit ethernet and 2400baud slip line fairly,
> both of them will get fair share of packets 8)
>
> It uses standard protocol methods to resolve addresses.
>
> Alexey

Unless it has been updated recently, by "balancing" a 100BaseT and a 2400
baud, you are going to get an effective throughput of 4800 baud. That is
from our experiance with it. You get N times the slowest link where N is
the number of circuits in the group. If you
balance two 33.6K modems and one makes a 14.4 connection, you end up with
28.8. Note that might have been with an older EQL, but it looks to me like
it was doing straight round-robin balancing which can not go faster than
the slowest link * the number of links.