Re: Getting big areas of memory, in 2.3.x?

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:46:34 +0100

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 12:32:01AM +0100, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > yep, if eg. an fsck happened before modules are loaded then RAM is filled
> > up with the buffer-cache. The best guarantee is to compile such drivers
> > into the kernel.
>
> My ISDN drivers don't start up correctly after an fsck.

This is a known bug in the isdn driver. They use a >64K array for their
device structures. The easy fix is to just replace the kmalloc with a
vmalloc() [the better fix would be to use a array of pointers and allocate
the device structures only when needed]. These are just internal structures
that are never touched by hardware, so vmalloc is fine.

I believe Karsten has fixed it in the latest I4L Tree.

-Andi

---
This is like TV. I don't like TV.