IDE drive status errors

Deon Stoltz (deon@tsrc.co.za)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:18:37 +0200

[This is an update to my previous reports - please refer to them if you
need to see some included files]

I have followed the sugesstions from Dan Yocum <yocum@fnal.gov>:
I have loaded the 2.2.13 kernel (since I saw a patch for 2.2.13) and
applied the ide patches from Andre Hendrick.
This has NOT SOLVED the problem. It seems that the frequency is down
but when it barfs it does so quite numerously.

Is there anything I can do to help pinpoint the problem? Need I stress
that this is quite important to resolve.

Regards

---- prvs mesage from Dan ----
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:07:11 -0600
From: Dan Yocum <yocum@fnal.gov>
To: Jorgen Skjaanes <js@pimp.gulesider.no>,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu,
deon@tsrc.co.za
Cc: Dan Yocum <yocum@fnal.gov>
Subject: Re: IDE drive status errors

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Deon Stoltz wrote:
>
> > New IDE (ATA) drives (Seagate ST34311A) gives the following errors:
> >
> > "hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > ide0: reset: success"

I make no claims, since I haven't tried them myself (sorry, Andre), but
Andre
Hedrick pointed me to his patches for the ide driver in 2.2.12 that
should
help some ide bus resets that we've experienced. They may help you,
too.
They are located here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

Cheers,
Dan