Re: [patch] fastcall-2.3.31-B3, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT support

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:42:06 +0100 (CET)

On 10 Dec 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > well, if we can make mmap() and select() faster without slowing down other
> > system calls then why not? I've implemented the 'dual syscall table' thing
> > and it works out well. The method is that for mmap() there is a
> > _different_ entry in fastsys_call_table[]: sys_mmap2_4arg(), which does:
>
> And the fastsys_call_table does cost you lots of cache lines. Is that
> worth the small mmap speedup ?

well, sys_call_table is simply not used in the fastsys case. (or rarely
used). So fastsys_call_table is in the cache, just like sys_call_table is
in the cache these days.

-- mingo