Re: keyboard scancodes

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 10:18:39 +0100

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 10:12:36AM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > For these PC keyboards it seems the proper solution would be
> > a finite state machine, with tables that can be loaded from
> > user space, a little bit like setkeycodes does today, but
> > much more general. The traditional keybaord would then have
> > three scancode maps (the plain one, one for e0 and one for e1)
> > and people for whom e0 is not an escape symbol would only
> > have the plain map, and people for whom also 80 is an escape
> > symbol would have a fourth map.
>
> Well, I think the right solution is to switch AT->XT code translation
> off in the i8042 - after that, the keyboard scancodes are *ALOT*
> simpler - the i8042 really mangles the data ...

Sorry to reply to myself, but:

I forgot to mention that if you disable this stupid translation,
you get the same AT keyboard protocol as on the PS/2 port, on the
Sun PCIKBD port, and on many other architectures which use AT or PS/2
style keyboards. This way you can use *one* AT keyboard driver for
all these architectures ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs